Announcing an array of updates, Messenger’s Product Manager Timothy Buck shared that opt-in end-to-end encrypted chats will help improve the messaging experience. In order to make the chats more private, secure, and expressive enough, the platform has rolled out fun and interactive features in its latest update.
“With cybercrime and hacking on the rise, it’s more important than ever to find great ways to connect with friends and family through private and secure communications, ” said Buck in an official blog.
As per the official announcement:
- End-to-end Encrypted Group Chats and Calls in Messenger: Last year, we announced that we began testing end-to-end encryption for group chats, including voice and video calls. We’re excited to announce that this feature is available to everyone. Now you can choose to connect with your friends and family in a private and secure way.
- Screenshot notifications: Last year, we updated the settings for disappearing messages in our end-to-end encrypted chats and now we’re introducing a new notification when we detect that someone screenshots a disappearing message. We think it’s important that you are able to use encrypted chats and feel safe, so we want to keep you informed if anyone takes screenshots of your disappearing messages. This is the same feature we offer in Messenger’s vanish mode, and now we’re rolling out this notification over the next few weeks for disappearing messages in our end-to-end encrypted chats.
- GIFs and Stickers: To help you level up your chats and express yourself, GIFs and Stickers are now available for a more feature rich chat experience in end-to-end encrypted chats.
- Reactions: With reactions, you’ll be able tap and hold on a message to bring up the reactions tray to make your choice of reaction: You can also double tap a message to “heart” it.
Also Read: Messenger rolls out Holiday-themed features
- Replies: You’ll now be able to reply to specific messages in your end-to-end encrypted chats, either by long pressing or swiping to reply.
- Tap and hold to reply: long press on a message to reply to it. Your reply includes a copy of the original message.
- Swipe to reply: You’ll also be able to swipe on the message you want to reply to. Swipe and type!
- Typing Indicators: To help you feel more present in your encrypted 1:1 and group chats, typing indicators are now available so that you can see when others are typing.
- Verified Badge: We’re also making the verified badge available for end-to-end encrypted chats to help you identify authentic accounts and have meaningful interactions.
- Save Media: You’ll be able to save a video or image by long-pressing on any media you receive.
- Video edits: When sending a photo or video from your gallery, you’ll have the option to edit before sending so you can add your own personal touch. This includes adding stickers, scribbling or adding text, cropping, and audio editing too (for videos).
Messenger states that end-to-end encryption aims to elevate the users’ private messaging experience as it continues to improve the encrypted conversations with friends and family.