2021 is about to bid us goodbye and before the year wraps up, Instagram has rolled out a new report highlighting the upcoming trends as defined by Gen-Z, that will shape culture in 2022.
As mentioned in its official blog, from redefining how GenZ approaches education and the idea of a “career,” to maximalist fashion statements, these future-focused audiences are consistently creating the reality they want to live in. Instagram claims that it is the place where teens, creators, and niche communities are key to the creation of new trends.
In order to create the report, Instagram tapped into the minds of Gen-Z to learn more about the rising Instagram trends across categories including music, fashion, creators and celebs, beauty, social justice, and so much more.
Reporter Darian Symoné Harvin (@darian), who writes about beauty at the intersection of pop culture and technology, sat down with a handful of these creators and trend forecasters to talk about all things innovative for 2022 and beyond. Be sure to watch their interviews in the video below.
- 50% of young adults are gong to be trying bold fashion liek Dark Academia, Goblincore and Nostalgic Wear
- Nearly 1 in 4 (23%) are expecting to thrift more online through second-hand websites (eg. Depop, Poshmark)
- Expect 2022 to see dance challenges to evolve even further with more eleborate dance routine & styles
- Creators have risen to the level of A-list celebrities
- 4 out of 5 young people agree that social media and other online clebritieshave more influence on cultur ethan traditional celebrities
- 1 in 5 teens are expecting VR concerts t become even more popular in 2022
Know more about the trends here.